Smoothing out unstable MAFV, bucking and driveability issues

Links and technical articles that contain useful information

Smoothing out unstable MAFV, bucking and driveability issues

Unread postby Squishy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 pm

hope this is in the right section

I've had driveability issues with my combo since changing over to blowthrough MAF on a non intercooled Vortech setup, too much turbulence in the discharge tube would cause .3v+ swing on the maf at idle and low load cruising, and bucking while trying to cruise at a steady speed.
it was ok while accelerating(even just lightly) and wot, but would buck at a constant throttle so I had to drive on, then off the throttle constantly and since it is a driver it makes 600 mile+ trips all the time not as enjoyable.

so on a quest for driveability I messed around with screens in the discharge tube, screen door screen, and finally found the frying pan splatter shield was a finer material that smoothed out the maf a good deal more than the screen door screen, added 4 screens to the discharge tube, and it was worlds better than no screen, almost acceptable drivebility with only minor bucking at low load cruising

then I found a honeycomb material from a place called saxonpc, 1/8" cells and aluminum material, available in different thicknesses, similar to what they use for creating laminar airflow in a wind tunnel, so I thought id give it a shot so I ordered a 3/4" thick piece for my MAF tube. this and the 4 screens smoothed the mafv and fixed all bucking or driveability issues, it gets a big thumbs up from me. it really smoothed out the mafv when paired with the 4 screens

my discharge tube is made up of 2 sections,as follows(ill post pics at a later time) compressor-> short section with the bypass valve-> blowthrough MAF tube-> throttle body

the mafv swing is as follows, all with frying pan splatter shield screen.
attached are screenshots of the mafv chart showing the swing over a period of time at idle

1) compressor-> BPV-> honeycomb->MAF .25v swing
Honeycomb.jpg

2) compressor-> BPV-> screen-> honeycomb-> MAF .17v swing
1 screen honeycomb.jpg

3) compressor-> BPV-> screen-> honeycomb-> MAF-> screen .16v swing
2 screens honeycomb.jpg

4) compressor-> BPV-> screen-> screen-> honeycomb-> MAF-> screen .12v swing
3 screens honeycomb.jpg

5) compressor-> screen-> BPV-> screen-> screen-> honeycomb-> MAF-> screen .08v swing
4 screens honeycomb.jpg

6) compressor-> screen-> BPV-> screen-> screen-> MAF-> screen
(no honeycomb) .11v swing
4 screens.jpg

hope this helps someone out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squishy
Supporting Member 35

Vehicle Information: 91 5.0(302) Stock Shortblock, A9l, QuarterHorse, F-303, 1.7rr's, Edelbrock Performer 60379 Heads, TrickFlow-R Intake, BlowThrough PMAS MH30-HPX-E 3" MAF ,SD 80lb Injectors, Stock FPR@39PSI, GSS 340(255lph High Pressure) Fuel Pump, 70mm ThrottleBody, Vortech V3sci 10-rib 8" Crank 3.33 Blower Pulley, NX Meth Kit 625ml/min 300psi, Bosch BPV, 1-5/8" BBK Equal Length Headers, 2.5" X-Pipe, 2.5" Magnaflow Cat Back, Taurus 2 Speed Fan, No Smog Pump. No EGR. T-5
WBo2-C (AEM)

Re: Smoothing out unstable MAFV, bucking and driveability is

Unread postby decipha » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:37 am

very nice, good job
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Smoothing out unstable MAFV, bucking and driveability is

Unread postby Squishy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Discharge tube picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squishy
Supporting Member 35

Vehicle Information: 91 5.0(302) Stock Shortblock, A9l, QuarterHorse, F-303, 1.7rr's, Edelbrock Performer 60379 Heads, TrickFlow-R Intake, BlowThrough PMAS MH30-HPX-E 3" MAF ,SD 80lb Injectors, Stock FPR@39PSI, GSS 340(255lph High Pressure) Fuel Pump, 70mm ThrottleBody, Vortech V3sci 10-rib 8" Crank 3.33 Blower Pulley, NX Meth Kit 625ml/min 300psi, Bosch BPV, 1-5/8" BBK Equal Length Headers, 2.5" X-Pipe, 2.5" Magnaflow Cat Back, Taurus 2 Speed Fan, No Smog Pump. No EGR. T-5
WBo2-C (AEM)

Return to Tech Articles & Links