TunerPro RT w Moates QuarterHorse bench read

Any TunerPro specific issues belong here.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

TunerPro RT w Moates QuarterHorse bench read

Unread post by ATPCR »

I have here on the bench one of my EEC-V PCMs with the Moates QH installed properly and about to attempt to bench read the original bin file, tune. Can I read the PCM "cold", or does it need to have the pcm power and ground wires attached and powered up (on)?
ADDED 1 hour later
I think that I now have the answer after reading a bit further...
Quote from instructions
"EEC-V - 1996 - 2004 Vehicles; includes up to 2006 Ranger and 94+ V6 Tbird/Mustang

select F2E Ford EEC-V Reader

start address 0000000
end address 003FFFF (note there are four F's)

buffer address start 0000000
end address buffer 003FFFF (note there are four F's) >> 256k multi-bank file (All 1996 - 2004 vehicles)

turn ignition key on
click on "read chip"
after its done reading and the progress bar completes, turn the ignition off
now click on save buffer to file
it will show bytes written 262,144 k at the bottom"

Turning the key on in the instructions tells me the pcm needs to be powered up.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: TunerPro RT w Moates QuarterHorse bench read

Unread post by decipha »

yep
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

Last night I replaced the "new" Chinese switch in DYI "homemade" bench box that I originally made up to use a Mongoose or in my case, a
Scanmatik 2 Pro with PCMflash, I didn't have anything attached to the OBD2 port, anyway, I was able to plug the 104 pin connector into the test PCM. It has an on/off switch to simulate key on, key off. I wasn't surprised that I was not able to read it. I didn't think that I had the J-3 port clean enough. I backed up and got out a PCM that I never intend to use, a 1998 Explorer V-6 PCM and cleaned the nickel-colored plating off down to the copper. I used a very fine, cushiony emery board that I found in my wife's shtuff drawer. It worked well and has been added to the tool collection. There wasn't any fireworks, however, I feel a sense of accomplishment after working on and off at this for months. I used the Hex Editor in TunerPro to verify that I did properly read the file. MP, thanks for the help.
1998ExplorerV-6 PPG1 112023 1st read.bin
(256 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

yep thats a bone stock factory read with only a pats code
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

The 2nd PCM read went well. It was a 1999 Crown Vic 4.6 PCM with a catch code JCA1.
Now I'm getting ready for the 3rd read. I have a new, never used 2003 Crown Vic PCM, catch code LBD1. It was purchased from a guy that sells
"new old stock" Ford parts.
Here is the question. I have removed the newest style case cover of the EEC-V units. It has folding tabs. I've cleaned the J-3 contacts on the side that they are easy to get to.
I removed the 4 torx screws that hold the board to the aluminum back board. It appears that it is glued to the backboard. I'm trying to handle it with kid gloves. I don't want to use any flat blade (tip) screw drivers or razor blades to do this. Should it come a loose or do you just reach up in the hard to get to area with an emery board and attempt to clean the contacts. I don't have a junk 2003 PCM to experiment with to see what it would take to release the pc board from the aluminum plate that it is glued to. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
2003pcmLBD1.jpg
ADDED 15 minutes later: The contacts are hardly visible to be able to reach up in there between the plate and the pc board.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

No need to remove the cover just simply use dykes and cut the opening at the sides and fold it in up top for the qh to fit in.

Use an open end razor blade and scrape the plastic off. You can get both sides without taking the cover off.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

Thanks, Michael, for the guidance. In the tight spot I was able to use a dull Exacto blade to scrape the plastic and then a wore out Emory board to finish cleaning. I'm making sure not to get carried away and go to deep and get into the printed circuit.
I noticed that the first iteration of the EEC-V, the 1998 Explorer PCM, it reminded me of pictures of the Moates QH install in an EEC-IV as to where some components had to be folded out of the way. In the '98 PCM it looked like a crystal oscillator, had to be folded over a bit and a barrel shaped capacitor wanted to interfere with the Moates cable. The 1999 Crown Vic PCM, 2nd iteration, CRAI8 in the hex code right above the copyright, It looked several years newer design than the one a year older. Absolutely no component interference.
Is the 2003 the 3rd and final version of EEC-V or is there a 3rd and fourth, 2003 being the fourth?
ADDED: 11-23-23 Apparently a bad read. Contacts probably not clean.
1999 CrownVic CVPI P71 ARA1 11-23-23 bad read.bin
(256 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

there was one newer version used in the lincolns but no j3 port