What da prolem is? VII

Off topic subforum for just goofing off and wasting time on possibly fun non-sense

What da prolem is? VII

Unread postby decipha » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:44 pm

vehicle in question is a 93 mustang gt fox I tuned about 4 years ago

setup was pretty basic
351w w/ trickflow H/C/I
slicks w/ a brake
300 shot of n2o
and a chute on the back ;) ...just in case shit got real

I tuned the car and dialed it in that morning, no problems with the car at all it ran flawlessly. That night the car got all new suspension so the car's owner along with the shop owner and I took her out to the track to dial in the suspension at test and tune. 1st pass out she knocked down a 1.3x 60' and ran a 9.9 @ 138

the car seemed really strong, she hooked well and ran true, so we made some slight suspension adjustments and staged for a 2nd pass

some guy busted a radiator and hosed down the track, he was kind enough to get out the groove though so only a small section of the track had to be cleaned, while waiting for him to get carried off and them cleaning the track the car stayed running for about 15 minutes or so in the staging lanes (a/c kickin' all the while :D )

so they wave us in next up and pulls through the burn out box to heat up the slicks, as soon as he stood on it she started popping in the intake and breaking up, she wasn't happy at all

the car was still running though and other than WOT is ran fine so he pulled it back around to the pits to check it out

fuel pressure was reading right at 55psi at idle, if you do a quick stab though you'd see it dip, we figured the pump went bad so called it quits for the night

the owner put a new pump in it and took the car back out to the track, car did the exact same thing, he managed to squeeze in one pass, and on the 2nd pass it wasn't having it, I told him to replace the ecu and fuel pump relay, so he did

the next time he goes to the track yet again it does the same thing, 1st pass is fine, 2nd pass the engine just bogs and fuel pressure drops

I probably shouldn't have considering how pissed off he was and just aggravated with the whole thing but I went ahead anyway and nick-named the car the one hit wonder, I thought it was funny as hell, he didn't share in my humor. :oops:

So he began throwing parts at the car, we all knew it was a fuel pressure issue but I guess he got so frustrated he just felt as though he had to throw parts at it. He replaced:

fuel pump
wiring harness
alternator
battery

he then thought it could be an interference issue or faulty freak electrical issue so he then replaced

ECU x2 (changed it twice)
Distributor
injectors
coil
plugs and plug wires

I suppose somewhere in between there he actually read the tuning packet I put in the glove box. He read the part about how I setup the tune to shut down the engine if it overheats. He then got a bright idea and replaced:

radiator
all hoses
thermostat
water pump
electric fans and even the fuckin fan relays

He was at his wits-end and in a drunken state called me up to invite me to come watch the bonfire. I really thought he was joking but when I got there he did in fact have a gas can filled to the top sitting next to the car in the garage... I didn't bother to ask

After 20 or so minutes of me explaining how I could get rid of the car for him for FREE and him not having to worry about fugitive sparks burning his house down, I suppose he sobered up just enough that he decided it would probably be best if we just went for one last drive to see if we could narrow down the cause of the problem.

Keep in mind while all this was going on I was out of town with work so I never got a chance to check out the car.

We're cruising down the interstate and about 20 minutes into the drive I see the lambse's steadily dropping while we're just cruising along. I look over at the fuel pressure gauge and I see the fuel pressure is slowly and steadily falling. I turn the a/c off and put the window down to see if I can hear anything odd and I'm bombarded with fuel odors. My first thought was a fuel leak so we hurry up and pull over and hop out the car with fire extinguishers in hand.

As fate shall have it no other than the local fire marshal just so happened to be driving by in his person vehicle and seen us abruptly abort with fire extinguishers in hand. Since we we're on the side of the interstate he said he figured he wouldn't make to us in time having to take the next exit so he radio'd in a fire truck which showed up not even 2 or 3 minutes later... that's another story in itself

back to the topic... we jumped out and gave the car a good look over to find the fuel leak, we didn't find any leaks but we did find the problem

anyone want to take a stab at it?
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Cause of Carnage VII

Unread postby red5.0fogger » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Fuel solenoid to the nitrous kit not sealing. Dumping fuel at all times?
red5.0fogger
Premium Member

Name: George
Vehicle Information: 86 GT, stock block, twisted wedge heads, Anderson N41 cam, cobra intake, 180 shot, 3.73 gears, T-5 trans, 24# injectors, 155Lph fuel pump, 73mm C&L mass air meter, moates QH tuned by Decipha, Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers, Flowmaster 2 chambers, Drag radials, South Side control arms circa 1999.

Unread postby decipha » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:25 pm

nope, but i like the way u think
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby red5.0fogger » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:28 am

Ah ha! Maybe there is a piece of debris on the fuel rail. Still does not explain the smell though.
red5.0fogger
Premium Member

Vehicle Information: 86 GT, stock block, twisted wedge heads, Anderson N41 cam, cobra intake, 180 shot, 3.73 gears, T-5 trans, 24# injectors, 155Lph fuel pump, 73mm C&L mass air meter, moates QH tuned by Decipha, Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers, Flowmaster 2 chambers, Drag radials, South Side control arms circa 1999.

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:55 am

injector not sitting/sealing.
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

Name: halle
Vehicle Information: 1993 2.3 LX
~97 hp
Vehicle 2 Information: 1987 Bronco 5.0
~0 hp
it'll run in a weekend or two..

Unread postby decipha » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm

negative and negative
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:16 pm

could be a problem with the vacuum lines. or how about the EGR valve stuck open?
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

~97 hp
~0 hp

Unread postby decipha » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:23 pm

nope and nope
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby red5.0fogger » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:56 pm

Is there a problem with the fuel cap or the fuel tank venting? Putting the tank under vacuum?
red5.0fogger
Premium Member

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:04 pm

O2 sensors both read lean! failed sensors, or the O2 sensor harness. or an exhaust leak letting in air before/at the sensors. air injection valve at the heads stuck open?
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

~97 hp
~0 hp

Unread postby decipha » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:12 pm

red5.0fogger wrote:Is there a problem with the fuel cap or the fuel tank venting? Putting the tank under vacuum?

THAT'S IT!!!

the tank was building so much vacuum that the pump couldn't suck anymore, when I pulled the fuel cap off it sounded like a bomb went off

the fuel odors came from the canister, it had developed so much vacuum that it broke the fitting on the canister
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby red5.0fogger » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Holy Crap!!! I had a customer atv melt the carb bowl vent shut and it would run around for 5 or 8 minutes and then fall on its face and stall. Wait 5 then good for 5 more and so on. Shit like that sucks. sorry for the pun.
red5.0fogger
Premium Member

Unread postby YaBoyHalle » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 pm

I had no idea that could happen! Good one Michael.
YaBoyHalle
A+ Contributor

~97 hp
~0 hp

Return to Games & Recreation