2010 Econoline PCM questions

For all other non specifically listed ECU tuning. This would include can-bus ecu's such as powerpc copperhead tricore and siemens ecus. As well as GM, Dodge or any aftermarket controller tuning etc...
BoringF150
Supporting Member 2
Vehicle Information: Stock 04 heritage F150. 4.6,4r70w

2010 Econoline PCM questions

Unread post by BoringF150 »

I figured Decipha and maybe someone else reading has cause to bench flash these so they might know the bare minimum connections to communicate with this PCM. IDK if it's Bosch, Motorola or what, I left this PCM at work and an image search has yielded no logos or branding on the PCM. Should you be able to flash, communicate and have VREF with just the body connector, C175B, plugged in? As in the C175E and C175T disconnected? In fact, it loses VREF with just the C175T disconnected. Digging further, depinning the EPC wire from the transmission connector causes VREF to go away. I've always been under the impression that there was failsafe designed into EPC circuits when possible, like if it's open, EPC defaults to max pressure. Shutting down the PCM might be a trans failsafe but not no much for the passengers, lol. The answer to this question would send me to either a software/hardware compatibility issue or move on to looking for some sort of electrical gremlin.

The reason I ask is the field service engineer and me are scratching our heads over a no start here at the local Ford dealer. The PCM has been replaced more times that I care to fess up to. It sets a P060A which PCED describes as "Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance" and lists possible causes being "Software incompatibility issue" "Damaged PCM". No PPT for this DTC. FSE wants to ignore it and I've requested his help so he's in the driver's seat. Furthering the case for pursuing P060A is that it has a bunch of trans hard faults with nothing wrong with those circuits. This leads me to believe that the processor is looking for trans circuits on the wrong pins, like maybe it thinks it's a 6R vehicle instead of a 4R75E vehicle since those transmissions use some different pins and completely different TR sensor designs.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: 2010 Econoline PCM questions

Unread post by decipha »

usually theres about 4 grounds, at least one kap, 2 ignitions and then the can wires for the DLC minimum to power up and flash

vref has nothing to do with the epc. Epc should be a ground output and the transmission gets a constant 12v ignition feed.

no its definitely not looking for a 6r

most likely the trans harness got clipped up front near the bellhousing as its very common or it got melted on the exhaust and is shorting

less common is the trans bulkhead connector leaks trans fluid and causes some pins to short out at the trans connector.

what all trans codes is she setting?

are you sure none of the traces on the connector board inside the trans is damaged?
BoringF150
Supporting Member 2

I could touch the trans harness in that area with my eyeball if I wanted to and there is nothing. The harness is clear of the manifold. This is a problem I've seen often over the years and I'm sure this isn't it. And the affected circuits have been tested for short to ground, power and open with no problems found.

4 grounds at C175B. All have been load tested with a glass headlamp. Likewise for the 3 VPWR's on 175B. 1 KAPWR that I haven't load tested but I would expect a KAPWR DTC and I've never seen a no start from loss of KAPWR. I will check in the morning though.

The trans hard faults are P0708, P0713, P1702, P1705, P1921.

I didn't see anything unusual in the transmission connector when I was depinning circuits to find out what was killing VREF.

I haven't looked inside the trans. I'm not positive, but if it's like the 4r70w, there is no leadframe inside the trans, just floppy wires. I can't find a depiction of a leadframe in the WSM. Either way, an internal trans problem doesn't explain why VREF is gone with trans connector 1472 unplugged.

A couple of things I haven't mentioned. The battery junction box has no cover. Water intrusion is entirely possible, but even so, none of the numerous pinpoint tests I've followed have led to any concern there. Additionally, during programmable module installation, I was prompted for hardware level before software was installed. I've tried both the correct and incorrect hardware levels. Choosing the incorrect hardware wouldn't even complete the programming process before an error was detected. Since the hardware has been updated, this leaves open the door for a software mistake on Ford's end in my mind.

Also, you haven't answered my question: Do you know if 175E and 175T are required for VREF and network coms?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm about to go to bed but I'll be at this first thing tomorrow and will check if you've replied again.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

well thats pretty obvious what the problem is

the trans is loosing 12v power.
BOOSTEDEVERYTHING
Vehicle Information: 1999 Ford Ranger with 2000 Explorer v8 swap, FLN0
2003 Ford F150 Harley Davidson, Built 5.4L SOHC with 3.4L Whipple and Built 4R100

Unread post by BOOSTEDEVERYTHING »

If you used as built data to program the new pcm and not the old data from the pcm, and you performed a parameter reset, I would tell your FSE to contact engineering to investigate the files on the server. I think you are chasing a problem you may not have.
BoringF150
Supporting Member 2

BOOSTEDEVERYTHING wrote: 2023 Nov 20, 12:30 If you used as built data to program the new pcm and not the old data from the pcm, and you performed a parameter reset, I would tell your FSE to contact engineering to investigate the files on the server. I think you are chasing a problem you may not have.
They're going to drag 45 hours of labor out of me before they bother an engineer. I thought it was a simple compatibility issue as soon as parameter reset failed and P060A set. And I knew it was going to be a royal PITA when I asked for tech support. Then the FSE, who had never heard of me before, started hazing me like I was a 19 year old. Asking me to do everything I said I did once more, to ask techs who make a living off of BG flush snake oil for help and to follow their directions, giving me unprovoked pointers on how to work the freaking website. I kept my mouth shut until he told me to sell the customer a cluster. Even then, he didn't back down. The cluster changed nothing. I've been diagnosing and repairing pats issues right, the first time, on time, since it's inception, longer than the FSE has or anyone else at the dealer. /end rant

The PCM has been service parted warrantied (again) at the FSE's direction and the trans stuff is gone. It had a weak signal return- voltage measured across B+ would drop whenever I plugged in anything on it's circuit. While the new PCM fixed that, which I give zero poops about, it still has a PATS related no-start. It still sets P060A, "Internal Control Module Monitoring Processor Performance" and to seal the deal even further, this latest PCM sets U0300, "Internal Control Module Software Incompatibility". With this new info do you think they'd start looking at hardware/software? Nope. Now I'm to investigate if there's a comm problem between PCM/cluster, despite there being no network DTC's and the fuel gauge working fine, or if the PCM isn't "powering up fast enough".

It's not over yet. They may well be a magic bullet wiring problem. I've been humbled plenty of times before.