Ford EEC on Mopar?

Mopar specific tuning forum for Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, Jeep

Ford EEC on Mopar?

Unread postby 91dak239 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:36 pm

So I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota with a Mopar 3.9L Magnum SEFI engine. The engine is built up a bit it has .030 over bore heads and block were decked a little .010 if i recall, its got forged Kieth black pistons, OEM forged connecting rods, OEM nodular iron crank, it has a cam regrind in it, roller rockers, upgraded throttle body, headers, and a mopar performance PCM it put down 197rwhp and 235ft-lbs on a chassis dyno.

The truck runs good and with its weight is good for high 14 second in the 1/4 mile if it hooks up good. I've always been disappointed with the tunability of the ecu but never really got into the standalone stuff and have for some time mulled over trying to convert it over to a ford EEC setup specially with the support with QH and BE. Especially considering I have 2 fords both with quarterhorese chips and am getting pretty familiar but am still learning to proficiently tune them. I've got some ford parts laying around that I was thinking could be used to convert over to an EEC MAF setup on my mopar. I have several ford MAFs hanging around, spare GSALI and CCAQE ECUs, enigine and chassis wire harnesses, misc sensors, etc... Obviously I think the later model v6 mustang ECU would be the best to use as it doesn't have the lame DIS module the supercoupe does.

Trying to think through the whole thing in my head... Sensor wise i would think to swap to the applicable ford sensors across the board with the exception of the mopar TPS which is still a 0-5v sensors just the same, i would need an adapter for the idle air control valve i think, but that doesn't seem to crazy especially considering the variety of styles of these for fords including remote mounted ones. I do have access to a bridge port mill and 3' bentchtop lathe so i can make some parts I was thinking basically to make a custom distributor body, basically mopar distributor dimensions at the block and then the top matching a ford synchronizer and then modifying a shaft for that. Mounting a crank sensor and tone ring also shouldnt be super difficult but properly aligning the tone marks to the sensor may be tricky... The Dakota uses a a return fuel system with an on rail regulator, the injectors are compatible with Ford Bosch ones its a very common upgrade to mustang 19# 4 hole injectors.

Its probably not a super easy thing to do but I think its pretty reasonably do able... I always get confused with the different firing order and cylinder number of the engines here... I know you can change the injector firing order so I can make that match the mopar firing order that seems pretty straight forward but I'm not really sure what to do with the coil pack...

I'm not immediately in a position to start this project yet but figure id throw this out there to the experts for thoughts... Am I crazy? is this doable? is there something I might be missing?
91dak239
General Poster

Name: Steven
Vehicle Information: 1992 Ford Thunderbird SC 3.8L MPX - GSALI, QH, and BE
Vehicle 2 Information: 1992 Ford Mustang GTS - CBAZA, QH, and BE
Vehicle 3 Information: 1992 Dodge Dakota 3.9L

Re: Ford EEC on Mopar?

Unread postby decipha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:27 am

you got it, youve covered every base, its no more difficult swapping the ford ecu than swapping fuel injection on any engine

best bet would be to use a cdan4 ecu, let me know when your ready to turn the key and ill hook you up with a startup tune to get you going easier
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby decipha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 am

oh btw, welcome to the forum steven.

I noticed you have a supercoupe too, pretty cool
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby 91dak239 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Thank you! Yeah the Supercoupe is my daily driver right now well if it wasn't with a leaky FPR it would... 90mm LMAF, 85mm MP TB, MPX, MP FMIC, 60# injectors, one of Dave's Custom Cam Grinds, dual exhaust. Pretty mild street setup for an SC i think I'm not running a lot of overdrive on it right now just 10% its a stock rebuilt long block.

So for cdan4 I assume its a bit easier to start out with one for an engine that has the same amount of cylinders or should I get one from a V8? Are the crank tone rings different between the two? obviously the coil pack situation is different between the two engines as well and my require some rewiring if using a v8 ecu with a v6 coil pack.
91dak239
General Poster

Name: Steven
Vehicle Information: 1992 Ford Thunderbird SC 3.8L MPX - GSALI, QH, and BE
Vehicle 2 Information: 1992 Ford Mustang GTS - CBAZA, QH, and BE
Vehicle 3 Information: 1992 Dodge Dakota 3.9L

Unread postby decipha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:39 pm

you can use either a v6 or v8 ecu no problem

it would best easiest to snatch the harness of a 96-98 tbird v6

all ford edis uses the same 35 tooth reluctor wheel
decipha